How to Get a New Zealand Amateur Radio Licence

To become an amateur radio operator (“ham radio operator”) in New Zealand, you need to obtain:

  • a General Amateur Operator’s Certificate of Competency (GAOC)
  • a callsign issued pursuant to the Regulations.

Many amateur radio clubs offer licensing courses, or you can study using books and online resources.

Regulations (Ministry of Economic Development – Radio Spectrum Management)

Radio Operator Certificate and Callsign Rules (PIB46)

New Zealand Amateur Radio Licence Study Guide

Information for licensed radio amateurs from other countries visiting New Zealand