I have been a licensed amateur radio (“ham”) operator since I was a teenager:
- 1970: Canadian Amateur Radio Operator’s Certificate
- 1972: Canadian Advanced Amateur Radio Operator’s Certificate
- 2005: New Zealand General Amateur Operator’s Certificate
My main interest is radiotelegraphy (Morse code) using vintage equipment on the shortwave bands.
- New Zealand Association of Radio Transmitters
- Musick Point Radio Group, Auckland, New Zealand
- Collins Collectors Association – Member number AC10-12535
- Vibroplex Collectors Association – Member number 94
- Straight Key Century Club – Member number 8918
- Publisher: maritimeradio.org
- Webmaster: musickpointradio.org
- Former president, Ontario Science Centre Amateur Radio Club (now the Central Toronto ARC)
Many newcomers to ham radio are assisted into the hobby by experienced operators referred to as “Elmers”. My Elmer was Nels Gradeen VE3GKL (deceased), who generously gave me his time, advice and encouragement 50 years ago.
- I am an online publishing consultant, and a former journalist and broadcaster.
- My wife and I are the New Zealand distributors of the Oscillot cat fence system.
- I have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific oceans under sail.