I have been a licensed amateur radio (“ham”) operator since I was a teenager:
- 1970: Canadian Amateur Radio Operator’s Certificate (10 wpm Morse)
- 1972: Canadian Advanced Amateur Radio Operator’s Certificate (15 wpm Morse)
- 2005: New Zealand General Amateur Operator’s Certificate
My main interests are radio telegraphy (Morse code) and single sideband (voice) using vintage equipment on the shortwave bands.
- New Zealand Association of Radio Transmitters
- Musick Point Radio Group, Auckland, New Zealand
- Collins Collectors Association – Member number AC10-12535
- Vibroplex Collectors Association – Member number 94
- Straight Key Century Club – Member number 8918
- Webmaster: maritimeradio.org
- Webmaster: musickpointradio.org
- Former president, Ontario Science Centre Amateur Radio Club (since renamed as the Central Toronto ARC)
Many newcomers to ham radio are assisted into the hobby by experienced operators referred to as “Elmers”. My Elmer was Nels Gradeen, VE3GKL, (deceased) who generously gave me his time, advice and encouragement more than 40 years ago.
- I am an online publishing manager and consultant, and a former journalist and broadcaster.
- My wife and I breed low-allergen Siberian kittens and we are the New Zealand distributors of the Oscillot cat fence system.
- I have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific oceans under sail.